OpenStack is a service provided by CSOps to the students and faculty of CU. This service allows you to install and configure a virtual machine which will run on our servers.
Contact email@example.com to apply for OpenStack access. Keep in mind, this is one of many services we offer, and it may not be the right fit for you. If you just want a simple website this is massive overkill.
Generally, this service is reserved for large school projects, faculty, and school clubs with needs more sophisticated than a simple web site.
The rules are simple (and obvious):
- Your actions are logged! Don't attempt to mess anyone else's systems! You will be banned for this.
- No running any illegal activities or services or anything which violate CU school policy. Again with the banning thing (not to mention whatever other penalties you may suffer).
- Use the minimal amount of resources you can get away with. These are shared resources, and they are paid for by student fees. Don't waste your own money!
- Keep your system secure! If we detect that you are operating a compromised system, we will shut it down without hesitation. If you don't know how to keep a server up to date and reasonably secure, this is not going to work.
- Use an available image for your install. You are welcome to upload other operating system images, but they are not tested. If you go off the reservation, we may not be able to help you.
- Use ssh keys! This is a huge help to keeping your system secure and easily accessible.
- Think twice before you click on anything in the OpenStack web interface. We can't help you very much if you destroy your own virtual machine (but you can always start over)!
- Ask for help when you need it (firstname.lastname@example.org).